Sunday, December 2, 2012

Division essay

      Taking hikes and also going biking in the mountains can be both dangerous and also life changing in a sense. Due to how many people get lost and not knowing what to have on them encase they do get lost. There are three things I like to have on me at all times that I would use if I got lost. I am glad I started to carry those items at a young age due to an event that happened to me and my friend.
      The most fundamental thing that I like to have on me at all times is my trusty knife. I collect knifes so I always have my black gerber knife on me.. They are good for cutting things like rope, wood (depending on the type of knife), and also good for protection. It can help kill food, also help if heated to burn a wound closed. I have had to use my knife for a few of these like when me and my friend went god running (Like Parkour just down a hill dodging trees and things) down the mountain in Woodland Park Colorado. He jumped off a small cliff with me and his pant leg got caught and he hit the wall and got knocked out. I had to cut the pant leg off and cut my shirt to tie it around where it was bleeding.
       I may not smoke but I like to have a lighter on me also. My favorite lighter I usually have on me is my sniper emblem zippo lighter. Not matches because encase they get wet they are useless. The lighter will help me to create a signal fire on top of fire to keep me warm. In the woods you need fire to cook the animals you get. It will help you stay warm and also if you build a fire surrounding you it helps to keep certain animals at bay. I had to use my knife also to cut limbs to make a fire site. I laid my friend down so he could rest due to the fact I didn't know how bad he got hurt. I started a little fires to keep us a little warmer because we were not moving around to keep warm.
       When he woke up I asked "Are you okay enough to move?" I got him up and asked "which way back because i'm horrible with directions and didn't know where we were." "Head north that's were my parents have the camp site." This is where I remembered i had a utility compass to help me. I pulled it out and he laughed and said "Do you really don't know what way is North?" I said "No that's why I have a compass." So I put one of his arms around my head and followed the compass all the way to his parents camp.
     If it wasn't for the items I had on me I would of had no clue what to do. That's why I like to have them on me so if anything like that ever happens again I will be prepared. I also am trying to learn to get better at directions. On top of staying away from camping and going into the woods.

2 comments:

  1. Two problems: first, the details are light--what knife, what type lighter, what sort of compass. Those details matter to understanding the essay.

    Second: where are you in this? Have you ever gotten lost? Have you ever camped or had an emergency situation outdoors? Have you ever actually had to use these tools? You need to provide that sort of info to establish your credibility.

    Try a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, those added details and that story make the piece work. Done deal.

    ReplyDelete